Istria Gourmet Road Trip: Overview
Istria is a heart-shaped peninsula nestled in the NW corner of Croatia. It is abundant in beautiful beaches, green fields and hills, and seaside and hilltop towns rich in historical and cultural heritage. Istria is also a county of vast vineyards and olive groves. Although Istria is best known as a tourist destination with crystal clear beaches, pleasant climate, and magical hills, it has in recent years been “discovered” as a top gourmet destination for food and wine lovers. While visiting Istria for its natural beauty, make sure to also indulge in Istria’s world-renowned wine, olive oil, truffles, and cuisine.
Istria has a wide variety of gourmet offerings by the sea and inside the peninsula. Among its best known foodie treasures are wine, olive oil, truffles, Istrian prosciutto (dry-cured ham) and other cold cuts, boskarin (Istrian ox) steak, oysters and seafood, sheep and goat cheeses, and seasonal vegetables and fruits. Istrian cuisine embraces the flavors of those fresh ingredients along with traditional preparation, presenting a remarkable array of delicious food. Read more about Istria’s food, wine, olive oil, and gourmet.
Istria Gourmet Road Trip
Are you thinking about a road trip with friends to check out wineries, olive oils, and other top gourmet spots in Istria?
Here’s our foodie road trip guide to Istria, done in cooperation with the Istria Tourist Board (ITB), which highlights our favorite wineries, olive oils, and truffles in Istria. We’ve also included a few additional special-interest gourmet places to explore. Pick your favorites to add to your road trip itinerary that you can visit at your own pace. Enjoy!
Istria Gourmet Road Trip: Google Maps
Google Maps is a great tool for planning road trips and organizing favorite places.
Below you will find three Google Maps:
- Istria Gourmet Road Trip – Places: Map of all places visited during this road trip, organized by regions of Istria.
- Istria Gourmet Road Trip – Directions: Driving directions for road trips through Istria’s regions.
- Best of Istria: Top recommendations for Istria (everything, not just gourmet).
Google Map: Istria Gourmet Road Trip – Places
Google Map: Istria Gourmet Road Trip – Directions
Google Map: Best of Istria
Istria Gourmet App
The Istria Tourist Board has an Istria Gourmet app that conveniently showcases Istria’s best gourmet food and wine offerings. The app includes top restaurants, konobas, taverns, extra virgin olive oil producers, wineries, prosciutto and dried meats producers, cheese producers, truffles, honey, and other gourmet offerings. Istria is truly a gourmet’s paradise.
The app also offers almost twenty top gourmet itineraries that you can follow to experience best of Istria. Itineraries are organized by regions of Istria and gourmet topic of interest.
The app is in Croatian, English, German, and Italian.
NW Istria Road Trip
NW Istria road trip consists of visits to gourmet places in Umag, Novigrad, Buje, Brtonigla, Savudrija, Momjan, and Livade.
Below is the Istria road trip itinerary of places visited in NW Istria. Click on each link for more information.
- Enotecca Degrassi (winery)
- Mate Agrofin (olive oil)
- Coronica (winery)
- API Melon (honey)
- Bursic (olive oil)
- Vina Cattunar (winery)
- Clai (winery)
- Kozlovic (winery)
- Enizo Zubin (olive oil)
- Kabola (winery)
Central Istria Road Trip
Central Istria road trip consists of visits to gourmet places in Pazin, Buzet, Motovun, and Livade.
Below is the Istria road trip itinerary of places visited in Central Istria. Click on each link for more information.
- Benvenuti (winery)
- Ipsa (olive oil)
- Karlic Tartufi (truffles)
- Natura Tartufi (truffles)
- Aura (distillery)
- Prodan Tartufi (truffles)
- Pisinium (prosciutto)
- Azrri (gastronomy)
- Zigante (truffles)
Porec and Rovinj Road Trip
Porec and Rovinj road trip consists of visits to gourmet places in Porec, Rovinj, Kosinozici, Balse, Zminj, and Sv. Lovrec,
Below is the Istria road trip itinerary of places visited in Porec and Rovinj regions. Click on each link for more information.
- Roxanich (winery)
- Grubic (olive oil)
- Latus (cheese)
- Matosevic (winery)
- Meneghetti (olive oil and winery)
Pula Road Trip
Pula road trip consists of visits to gourmet places in Pula, Vodnjan, and Sisan.
Below is the Istria road trip itinerary of places visited in Pula region. Click on each link for more information.
- Medea (Agroprodukt; winery)
- Chiavalon (winery)
- Meloto (Belci; olive oil)
- Brist (olive oil)
- Oleum Histriae (olive oil)
- Trapan (winery)
Labin and Rabac Road Trip
Labin and Rabac road trip consists of visits to gourmet places in Labin and Rabac.
Below is the Istria road trip itinerary of places visited in Labin and Rabac regions. Click on each link for more information.
- Negri (olive oil)
- Olea (olive oil)
Road Trip Tips
Here are some useful tips for your road trip planning:
- Plan your route prior to the trip. You can always change the route while on the road.
- Explore places in this post and ITB Istria Gourmet app to make a shortlist of places you want to visit on your Istria road trip.
- You can copy the Google Maps above to your Google My Maps and then customize maps to your interests.
- Do not pack too many places into a day. Leisure exploration is much more fun and satisfying than rushed visits from place to place.
- Contact the places you plan to visit before your visit to check on their availability.
- You don’t necessarily need to change your accommodation with each region you visit. Rather, you can pick a base in Istria for your accommodation and then take daily road trips from that base.
- Enjoy the places, food, wine, and people you’ll meet!
Below are additional resources on gourmet and wine offerings in Istria:
- Istria Tourist Board: Istria Gourmet Guide, Istria Gourmet Guide app, and Istria Food and Wine
- Croatian National Tourist Board: Gastronomy, CroGourmet365
- Istrian Wine Cellars (book)
- Michelin guide (book and web)
- Gault&Millau guide (book and web)
- My books: Best of Istria and Adriatic Road Trip
Have a wonderful Istria Gourmet road trip! Tag us (@istriagourmet and #istriagourmet; and @shareistria and #shareistria) on your social media posts and contact us with any questions.